Can I press charges against someone for harassment, slander, and libel?

My child's grandmother and father have been harassing me for months. I have a restraining order against him, but I have countless messages from both of them calling me names, saying that I'm a bad mother just to be spiteful and hateful. They have been told by myself and others to stop many times. I also have messages from other people, telling me all of the lies they are spreading about me that have no basis in truth whatsoever. They make things up about me to make themselves look better. They constantly trash talk about me to everyone they possibly can and I can prove it and I can prove that none of what they say is true. They are doing it maliciously with harmful intent and intent to defame my character. Can I press charges against them?

Philadelphia, PA -

Attorney Answers (2)

Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Personal Injury Lawyer - Philadelphia, PA

If the restraining order is violated, report it. With respect to a defamation claim, know that defamation lawyers are very expensive, and typically want a $5,000.00 retainer just to begin work, and without a monetary loss, you may end up spending more money than you would recover, if anything.

Andrew Endicott Schrafel

Andrew Endicott Schrafel

Contracts / Agreements Lawyer - Floral Park, NY

Contact the court that issued the restraining order, the district attorney, the police or whomever helped you get the restraining order, let them know it was violated.

"Can I press charges against them? " for defamation no. For violating the restraining order the district attorney can press charges.

You could could start a civil action against them for defamation, but it is probably not worth your time.

Related Topics

Personal injury and defamation

Defamation is any type of emotional or psychological personal injury that occurs when someone intentionally harms another’s character or reputation.

Featured Legal Guides

Personal injury and libel

Libel is the written or visual defamation of another person’s character. False statements can damage someone’s reputation, so it is a type of personal injury.

Featured Legal Guides

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.