Can I press charges against someone for harassment, slander, and libel?

Asked over 1 year ago - Philadelphia, PA

My child's grandmother and father have been harassing me for months. I have a restraining order against him, but I have countless messages from both of them calling me names, saying that I'm a bad mother just to be spiteful and hateful. They have been told by myself and others to stop many times. I also have messages from other people, telling me all of the lies they are spreading about me that have no basis in truth whatsoever. They make things up about me to make themselves look better. They constantly trash talk about me to everyone they possibly can and I can prove it and I can prove that none of what they say is true. They are doing it maliciously with harmful intent and intent to defame my character. Can I press charges against them?

All of the harassment and defamation of character on his part, that I know of and can prove, occurred before the restraining order was filed. I have not had any contact with him in any way since it was filed.

Pro

2

2

Answered . If the restraining order is violated, report it. With respect to a defamation claim, know that defamation lawyers are very expensive, and typically want a $5,000.00 retainer just to begin work, and without a monetary loss, you may end up spending more money than you would recover, if anything.

2. Andrew Endicott Schrafel

Answered . Contact the court that issued the restraining order, the district attorney, the police or whomever helped you get the restraining order, let them know it was violated.

"Can I press charges against them? " for defamation no. For violating the restraining order the district attorney can press charges.

You could could start a civil action against them for defamation, but it is probably not worth your time.