Can I press charges against my wife?

Asked over 1 year ago - Macon, GA

hi I currently reside in Georgia. Recently I deployed to Afghanistan and while I was checking my account I notice money missing. I called my bank to see where it was going it turns out my wife had hacked my personal account and was making unauthorized transfers to another account she had setup. I called my bank and after investigating they said that she had indeed committed checking account takeover along with some other suspicious activity on my account. My bank decided to launch an investigation and they told me that in order to get my funds back and to avoid other trouble from what she was doing they said I would have to file a police report against her. When I went to the police station they said that legally she had a right to my account whether or not her name was on it even if she did hack it. I was just wondering if it was some way around the matter because I really do not want to lose my career over something my wife did

1. Clayton Harold Walker Jr.

Pro

3

Best Answer

Answered . If a crime was committed, it was your wife violating electronic privacy statutes and stealing money from you. While you did not authorize her to do these things, you have the power to ratify or approve of the conduct now that you know about it. Most people don't file criminal charges against their spouse and then maintain the relationship. You haven't stated anything here that should end your military career. Rather than discussing any facts further here you should discuss the matter with your wife, perhaps a criminal defense attorney.

2. Rixon Charles Rafter III

4

Answered . Not sure why your career is implicated...your options appear to be (1) file a police report (2) sue your wife (3) ask wife for money back (4) do nothing.

BTW, donuts to dollars the bank will NOT involve itself beyond telling you handle it
    yourself. Their investigation was focused on identifying how best to protect the bank, not you.

3. Ian Edmund Scott

3

1

Answered . If you question is can you report your wife to the police or "press charges" the answer is yes. Not sure what you mean by "some way around the matter." If there was a crime committed and you wish to report the person who committed to the police you are certainly able to do that.