Can I press charges against my dad's girlfriend? She emptied his bank account and gave his car to her son.

Asked 4 months ago - Santa Clarita, CA

My dad recently passed and days later his girlfriend signed his car over to her son. It was only in my dad's name. Also, we are now finding out that he has no "active" accounts at the bank that she says he banked at. They are not active now because they have been emptied and have a zero balance and no deposit activity. This could only have been his girlfriend, as she is the only other person with access to his atm card and she would write all of the checks and sign his name. What can we do about this? Can we press charges?

1. Joseph Briscoe Dane

Pro

6

Answered . As an individual, no - you cannot "press" charges. Only the prosecutor's office can file criminal charges. You can make a police report. That will be forwarded to the prosecutor for their review and if they feel there's a crime, they will file charges.

You can also sue in civil court, but I assume she doesn't have money from which to collect a judgment.

2. Sagar P. Parikh

5

Answered . You report all of this to the police. You may also be able to file civil claims as well.

3. Lonnie L Mcdowell

5

Answered . No, you cannot press charges. Only the prosecutor can . File a police report regarding the unauthorized withdrawal of funds and the unauthorized transfer of the vehicle. The police will investigate and if there is enough evidence, they will forward it to the DA for prosecution.
    However, you may be able to file a civil suit for return of the vehicle and the money that was taken out of your father's bank accounts.
    Best to speak with a civil attorney to explore all your rights and remedies.

4. Vijay Dinakar

Pro

4

Answered . Call the police and give them all the details. The county DA office will decide whether to prosecute the girlfriend. As an heir to your father's assets you can sue girlfriend

5. Darryl Elliot Young

3

Answered . Tell your local law enforcement agency to investigate. If the district attorney has sufficient evidence, they will decide whether charge the incident. After they file charges, then you can let them know your wishes. It's the DA's case whether to file or not file charges.

6. Michael Kevin Cernyar

Pro

3

Answered . Did your father die intestate? Or did he have a will? Or is his estate in a trust? If not in a trust, then the matter should go through probate. You may consider contacting a probate attorney. I wish you the best.