Skip to main content

Can I press bullying charges?

Elkton, MD |

I am an 18 year old a senior in highschool. Going on four months I have been bullied by a particular individual(minor), name calling, threats it has now gone as far as my house being vandalized. We've ( mother and I) talked to the police and the school administrators, they keep telling us there is nothing that can be done. A peace order was brought up but no additional details were given. Can we sue for harassment? Due to the vandalism of my home I am starting to feel unsafe, and the constant name calling at school is getting in between me and my school work. please help .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


There's not really a cause of action for harassment apart from a peace order. Peace orders are fairly simple to get and the hearings usually don't take long. Go to your local district court in the county in which you reside, fill out some paperwork, and you'll see a judge that day. The judge has the ability to issue a temporary order based on what you say. Then the sheriff will serve the order on the defendant and you'll have to go back, usually about a week later, and have a final hearing. At this final hearing, the judge has the ability to extend the order for up to 6 months and in some cases longer and has broad discretion on the terms of the peace order. This is probably the best route for you, especially if there's vandalism involved. Any breach of a peace order is a crime and the defendant can be arrested.

This is not legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. This is for education and informational purposes only. It is always recommended that you contact an attorney with any concerns as each individual case is unique.


My colleague is correct. I'll also add that is the perpetrator of the harassment is a juvenile, you must go through the department of juvenile services for a peace order.

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer