Can I postpone getting my license reinstated to avoid having to get the Interlock system after 1st DUI?

Rock Hill, SC |

I live in South Carolina, but got my DUI in North Carolina. My license was suspended for 1 year, paid the fines, and completed all alcohol classes. My attorney at the time said I may have to get the interlock system installed, but if I waited for 3 years to reinstate my license I wouldn't have to. I wanted a second opinion because her knowledge of the laws with me being from a different state was limited. I did not know this until after I hired her.

1. Most attorneys are only truly familiar with the law in the state in which they practice. You may want to consider calling the SC version of DMV to inquire as to the status of your license, without going into any detail about what happened in NC. Best of luck.

Jasen Nielsen

2. Interesting situation. You can always look for an attorney here on AVVO in the state you have questions by clicking on "Find a Lawyer" at the top of this page. Good luck.