Can I post magazines articles and photos on a personal blog?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Mechanicsville, MD

I want to create a blog compiling my favorite recipes, products, tips and tricks from my favorite magazines each month. I would scan the actual magazine page in and post it as a photo. Is giving credit to the magazine enough, or am I still in danger of copyright infringement?

1. Philip Leon Marcus

1

1

Answered . Giving credit to the magazine or the author--how do you know which owns the copyright--is generally not enough, in fact it does not help at all. Most likely you are at risk of suit since this will reduce the market for the magazine itself. I have an AVVO guide to fair use I will link to. Beyond that, I am available for consultation at 410-292-6989.

2. Daniel Gary Rosenthal

Pro

1

Answered . Lots of people do this all the time. In some cases, it may be fair use. In others, it may not, but they just aren't getting caught. I'd be happy to discuss the situation with you further, if you're interested in retaining an attorney to review this sort of thing for your site -- my firm regularly handles copyright clearances similar to this.

3. Barry Franklin Poulson

2

1

Answered . You have to have permission from the owner of the copyright to publish or re-publish their material. You can contact the magazine, try to work something out. Perhaps by structuring your page to point invitingly to their magazine they might welcome the traffic.