Can I post a song on itunes of another artist along as I mention them in the credits ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Bayonne, NJ

Please help me

I am gonna sing it and add change the lyrics. The original song is in korean

1. Daniel Nathan Ballard

5

Answered . Not lawfully. Moreover, by crediting the original artist you're admitting that your version derives from the origainal artist's version. Unless you have permission, you may not lawfully publish your version of the song. Although the original artist [or his record label or music publishing company] may never find out, that does not justify your infringement.

2. Bruce E. Burdick

Pro

3

Answered . No, you are likely confused by the use of attribution in Creative Commons which may, in certain instances, be all that is required. But for musical compositions, CC is seldom applicable, and, As noted by attorney Ballard, attribution, and this situation is probably harmful not helpful. Any of us can help you for a reasonable attorney's fee.

The name Bayonne, New Jersey brings back memories. I remember sailing from there on the Stevens Tech sailboat racing team over 40 years ago. It was an ugly oily harbor. I hope it is cleaner now.

3. Pamela Koslyn

3

Answered . My colleagues are right, admitting whose property you want to use just confesses that your use is a willful infringement, and you probably think "artist" and "them" means the performer, not the songwriter and their publisher and they're record label. It's those latter entities that you need a license to do this from --the performer has no say in the matter, although they may also be the songwriter.

See a mucis lawyer for help.