Can I plea "not guilty" and not pay bail at arraignment? Chances the judge dismisses my case?

Asked about 1 year ago - Cerritos, CA

I would like to plea not guilty at my upcoming arraignment for a trespassing misdemeanor. I understand at the arraignment the judge lets me know what I am being charged of and asks if I have a lawyer or want one appointed to me. I was wondering if I would be allowed to ask the judge if I can plea not guilty and not pay bail, seeing how I am a full-time college student working part-time and it's already hard as it is. Even though I was in my car, I was handed a ticket for trespassing as a pedestrian. I was in a neighborhood with the nose of my car next to a house and the rear next to the sidewalk of a park; both my passenger and I were given tickets. What're the chances that my case gets dismissed or lowered to an infraction?

Could this be sorted out at a pre-trial? How would I motion for this?

1. Michael Raymond Daymude

Pro

4

1

Best Answer

Answered . I agree with my colleagues that, if you have not already posted bail, the judge will likely continue your OR release provided you appear in court on time. It is unlikely you will get an outright dismissal without an attorney. However, the public defender (if you qualify and depending on any previous arrests) is intimately familiar with the procedures in the court and can usually help with a reduction just the same as private counsel. Plan on spending the good part of the day in court (at least the morning) and ask for a public defender. If you don’t qualify and/or don’t like any plea bargain offered, you can always as for a continuance to obtain private counsel. Good luck.

2. Nicholas Maurice Rosenberg

Pro

5

1

Answered . You should be aware that there are forms of trespassing involving a vehicle. I agree that the Judge might OR you but the chances of that happening go up dramatically with an attorney present to represent you. Consult with and retain an attorney to review your facts and determine the best course of action. Good luck.
    www.losangelesdefenders.com

3. Seth Andrew Weinstein

5

1

Answered . A Judge is not likely to ask you to post bail.

Seth Weinstein, Esq.
    Southern California Criminal Defense Attorney
    (310) 707-7131
    www.sethweinsteinlaw.com

4. Michael Kevin Cernyar

Pro

3

1

Answered . With or without an attorney it is an uphill battle to have the matter dismissed or reduced to an infraction, but your chances increase dramatically with an attorney. You should plea not guilty and ask for OR for bail. OR is typically granted in your situation. I wish you the best.

5. Tracy Mark Grayson

Answered . That is a ridiculous charge given the facts. It SHOULD get dismissed, at least I wouldn't plead guilty or no contest to this charge, I would fight it. You should be eligible for release on your own recognizance on such a minor charge. You should not have to post bail.