Can I place a lien on a propertry of a relative for work done 8 yrs ago to their property upon selling of the property?

Asked over 1 year ago - Charleston, SC

In charleston South Carolina, what kind of rights do I have?

1. C Steven Moskos

4

Answered . I am not sure what you are asking, however, you can only put a mechanics lien on real property if you file a lis pendens with the clerk of court within 90 days of the last work on the property. You then have to file suit within 180 days of the last work on the property. You may have had a contract with your relative. You would then have a 3 year statute of limitations. If you did the work 8 years ago and did not file suit within 3 years, you probably do not have any legal rights to pursue this claim. Of course, you have not given many details. If you think you still have a claim, you should seek the advice of an attorney as soon as possible.

2. Jed R Prest

1

Answered . After 8 years, you have likely let your right to lapse. You should speak with SC licensed attorney and review if you have any recourse left open to you. For example if you have continued to perform work there maybe some opportunity, but ability to file a lien is a very short window of opportunity.