Can I petition the court to have my traffic fines reduced even if the tickets are several years old?

Imperial, CA |

I have several tickets that I have to pay in order to get my license reinstated as it is currently suspended. Despite recently paying off three of the outstanding tickets the balance that still remains due is well over $5,000. Most of the tickets are several years old (from 2008-2009) with only two of them being from 2011 and 2012. What do I need to do to get them reduced so that I can get my license reinstated? I need to get my license by December 2013 to avoid a driving while on suspended charge so any help will be greatly appreciated.

1. I am assuming the tickets proceeded to judgment due to your failure(s) to appear. If the tickets went by trial or were simply pled to, you may not be able to now challenge the fines.

However, assuming the above is the case, tor the 2011 and 2012 tickets, try to have the matters put on calendar, meaning to have a judge hear the matters. You will have to call collections (GCI Services?) and advise them of your intentions. Then tell the judge your situation. It may not work, but this is your best option.

To expedite the process, go with an experienced traffic attorney who knows exactly how to do this. I would call Andrew Roberts if I were in your shoes. He posts here quite often. Pay him for his help.

2. Yes. You need help. Hire counsel. You need to persuade a judge (experienced lawyer).

3. This is really difficult. It is hard to get these old matters put on calendar. Get an attorney familiar with court and clerks and you might be able to have some chance.

ANDREW ROBERTS CRIMINAL AND TRAFFIC TICKET DEFENSE ATTORNEY

4. Be darned careful about what you say to the judge. In fact, get Mr. Roberts to do your talking for you in court. You are on a track to make your situation way worse with bonehead statements like this one: "I need to get my license by December 2013 to avoid a driving while on suspended charge..."

Every judge I know would understand that statement as an announced intention to drive with or without the license. Most judges will react very badly to that threat and to the person who is so oblivious and self-involved as to make such statement.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.