Can i petition my 2 year old son even if I'm only a green card holder? and is it gonna take long/

Asked over 1 year ago - Imperial Beach, CA

I'm a 20 yr old single mom just got here a year ago i got misinformation about being able to bring my baby... now I'm trying to bring him here because my auntie who's helping taking care of him died a month ago.

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

3

2

Answered . Yes you can and should. The 21-year age restriction only applies to I-130 petitions for parents and sibling applications not children and spouses. The weight is not that long. They process now petitions filed in October of 2010. There is also a humanitarian parole possibility but that one is hard to get, though your situation may be ripe for it.

2. Theodore John Murphy

Pro

3

Answered . Yes you should apply immediately. There is a waiting period between filing the I-130 and the availability of a visa which can be 2 to 3 years or more depending on what country you are from.

3. Tiffany Nicole Romine

Pro

1

Answered . Yes, if you are a permanent resident you can petition to have your son issued a green card as well. If your son is outside of the US, the application would have to be processed at the consulate office of your home country. The length of time it would take to process the application depends on the particular consulate. However, if approved your son's visa would be immediately available. If, however, you are not a legal resident then you are not eligible to apply for your son.