Can I petition for my husband concurrent to citizenship application?

Asked 7 months ago - Neptune, NJ

I am from South Africa, I was married to my ex-husband/American citizen for 8 years and received my green card through him after being married for a year. 7 years later we divorced. I never applied for citizenship until now (application sent on 2/18/2014). I have recently remarried and I would like to petition for my husband who has a non-immigrant status(DACA). Can I do this concurrently?

1. Rizwan M Khalid

1

Answered . yes, you may, but I am assuming that you had your conditions removed from you conditional green card. You should discuss the matter with an immigration attorney as you don't want to be in a situation where request for more evidence comes your way.

2. Eric M. Mark

Pro

1

Answered . You may file concurrently, but that may not be the best thing for you to do. Also, daca is not a status allowing someone to adjust status. He may or may not be able to adjust status. You need to review this with a lawyer before possibly wasting a lot of money.

3. Michael L Detzky

Pro

1

Answered . No. Can not be done concurrently. Once you become a US citizen, you can petition for your husband as an immediate relative but unless he originally entered the US with a valid visa, he will have to travel abroad to obtain his permanent resident status. Since he is presently out of status, he will need an unlawful presence waiver. Recent changes in USCIS regulations, now permit him to apply for that waiver in the US and not travel abroad to the consulate until the waiver is approved. I'm located in Freehold and would be happy to meet with you to discuss what must be done to assist your husband. My contact number is 732-780-3090

4. Yolanda Navarrete

1

Answered . It is possible but an interview with both of you is necessary in order to give you a reliable answer.

5. Leonard Roy Boyer

Answered . I agree with the answers of my distinguished colleges. You need to retain an attorney with experience in divorce and immigration. Good luck.

6. Jeff L. Khurgel

Pro

1

Answered . Yes, you can file to Naturalize and concurrently petition your husband in the F-2A classification. Practically speaking, depending on when his DACA expires, you may consider waiting until you Naturalize (in 3-6 months), as at that time everything can be filed for him together. Of course, in doing that, you're betting against the F-2A becoming current prior to your Naturalization--which is a safe bet, but like everything in immigration, not a guarantee.

7. Gunda Johanna Brost

Pro

1

Answered . Yes this is possible. I agree with my esteemed colleagues.