Can I petition for discontinued child support to my ex?

Humble, TX |
Filed under: Child custody

My ex and her husband refuse to let my 16 year old live with them any longer due to trust issues with him. She has primary custodial rights in our divorce agreement. He has been living with me for the past 9 months, and I'm still paying full child support to her, but supporting him living with me as well!

1. You need to file a modification of the custody agreement. If mom will agree to sign the paperwork, it's quick and easy. If she won't, it will still be approved since you have had the child in your home for over 6 months.

Look on this website for an attorney to assist you with the paperwork.

Good luck!

Attorney Brochstein is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. If you found this answer "helpful" or "best answer", please select the button to show your appreciation. Please understand that this is not a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. You are strongly encouraged to consult with an attorney in your county in person about your specific problem.

2. Follow Ms. Brochstein's advice. You can also request child support from the mom, and the repayment of the last 9 months. Consult a Family attorney in your area. Many, like myself, give a free initial consult and can give you clearer guidance based on all the specific facts of your case.

This answer is general information which does not establish any attorney-client relationship between the person asking a question and the person answering, or a duty to respond to ongoing questions; nor is it intended to replace competent legal assistance in the jurisdiction where the matter/issue arises or is before a Court.

Child custody topics