Can I petition for discontinued child support to my ex?

Asked over 1 year ago - Humble, TX

My ex and her husband refuse to let my 16 year old live with them any longer due to trust issues with him. She has primary custodial rights in our divorce agreement. He has been living with me for the past 9 months, and I'm still paying full child support to her, but supporting him living with me as well!

1. Fran Brochstein

3

1

Answered . You need to file a modification of the custody agreement. If mom will agree to sign the paperwork, it's quick and easy. If she won't, it will still be approved since you have had the child in your home for over 6 months.

Look on this website for an attorney to assist you with the paperwork.

Good luck!

2. Vicki Elaine Wiley

1

Answered . Follow Ms. Brochstein's advice. You can also request child support from the mom, and the repayment of the last 9 months. Consult a Family attorney in your area. Many, like myself, give a free initial consult and can give you clearer guidance based on all the specific facts of your case.

Fran Brochstein
    Fran Brochstein, Child Custody Lawyer - Houston, TX
    Posted over 1 year ago.

Vicki - great advice -- but this person is in Humble -- I doubt that you travel that far! Enjoy this wonderful spring weather! I enjoy your posts! Fran

Vicki Elaine Wiley
    Vicki Elaine Wiley, Family Law Attorney - Fort Worth, TX
    Posted over 1 year ago.

You are correct! And likewise!