Can I petition for discontinued child support to my ex?

Asked over 1 year ago - Humble, TX

My ex and her husband refuse to let my 16 year old live with them any longer due to trust issues with him. She has primary custodial rights in our divorce agreement. He has been living with me for the past 9 months, and I'm still paying full child support to her, but supporting him living with me as well!

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Fran Brochstein

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You need to file a modification of the custody agreement. If mom will agree to sign the paperwork, it's quick and easy. If she won't, it will still be approved since you have had the child in your home for over 6 months.

    Look on this website for an attorney to assist you with the paperwork.

    Good luck!

    Attorney Brochstein is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal... more
  2. Vicki Elaine Wiley

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Follow Ms. Brochstein's advice. You can also request child support from the mom, and the repayment of the last 9 months. Consult a Family attorney in your area. Many, like myself, give a free initial consult and can give you clearer guidance based on all the specific facts of your case.

    This answer is general information which does not establish any attorney-client relationship between the person... more
    Fran Brochstein
    Fran Brochstein, Child Custody Lawyer - Houston, TX
    Posted over 1 year ago.

    Vicki - great advice -- but this person is in Humble -- I doubt that you travel that far! Enjoy this wonderful spring weather! I enjoy your posts! Fran

    Vicki Elaine Wiley
    Vicki Elaine Wiley, Family Law Attorney - Fort Worth, TX
    Posted over 1 year ago.

    You are correct! And likewise!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,566 answers this week

3,213 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,566 answers this week

3,213 attorneys answering