Can I petition for a conservator of my niece or is it limited to guardianship only?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Bayfield, WI

My sister wants me to handle the assets and income of her daughters estate through a conservatorship. She does not want a guardianship of her estate and specifically said conservatorship. I do not know anything about this so any help would be appreciated.

1. Daniel J. Krause

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . In Wisconsin, a "conservator" is legally called the "guardian of the estate." They are the same thing. This is a person appointed by a court to handle the assets and income of an incompetent or minor person.

There can also be a "guardian of the person," who is in charge of living arrangements and medical needs.

Most often, a person is both "guardian of the person" and "guardian of the estate," but those things may be split up, or it may be that a ward only needs their assets managed and can manage their living situation OK. In that case, they only need a guardian of the estate, or a "conservator."

2. David L. Carrier

Pro

2

Answered . Generally the conservator manages money for the incapacitated person, the guardian manages the life of the incapacitated person.

3. Steven J. Fromm

Answered . Both attorney offer sound advice. Labels and names mean nothing, get to an attorney who regularly handles these matters.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to designate a best answer to your question.

Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336, his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , for more tax, estate and business articles visit his website www.sjfpc.com. and blog