Can i petition court to modify child support without a lawyer

Asked over 4 years ago - Hiawassee, GA

when child support order went into effect, my ex wasnt working and i was making a decent living. now my income is about half of what it was, my ex is working, and i have a newborn daughter with my girlfriend. i cant afford $1500 my old lawyer asked for to file a petition to modify the child support order. can i petition court to modify child support order without a lawyer?

1. David Allen Rose

Answered . Although the answer you received made me grin a bit, it is dead on. The Court room is a daunting environment for someone not regularly practicing there. I do not regularly practice family law but contracts law and even as an attorney, I would find it terribly unsettling to be standing in Family Court representing a client in your situation. I think his advice was quite sound.

This answer is provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided in an office consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, with experience in the area of law in which your concern lies.

2. Andrew Daniel Myers

Answered . Yes, you CAN file your own petition to modify.

You CAN also perform your own appendectomy with a pen knife. The issue in both scenarios is, with what result?

I do not mean at all to be dramatic. I have had the unfortunate experience of having clients come to me after they went to "family courts" unrepresented on similar issues and were bowled over either by obstreperous overbearing opposing counsel, or by their own good manners and failure to understand the intricacies of the applicable law and procedure.

I sense, I believe correctly, that this is a fairly important issue to you and so I suggest that you can not afford not to retain experienced counsel to help you through. No attorney, I believe, would want to step in after a bad result in such a scenario.

3. Michael Douglas Shafer

Answered . I agree with counsel . Do not shoot yourself in the foot with so important a matter at stake. Seek counsel