Can I pay my ticket for an under an ounce of marijuana citation or will have to go to court?

Asked 11 months ago - Woodstock, GA

By paying the fine I waive my right to a trial correct??

1. John Arnold Steakley

2

Answered . I seriously doubt you could dispose of that charge without a court appearance.

2. Allen Rust Knox

1

Answered . Yes, by paying your ticket, you don't get a trial. Moreover, a conviction for marijuana possession will result in suspension of your license. There are several ways to avoid suspension. You need to retain counsel to work this case out for you so that you do not lose your license.

Allen R. Knox
    "Former Cobb, Bartow and Paulding County Prosecutor"
    125 Townpark Drive, Suite 300
    Kennesaw, GA 30144
    (678) 334-1399

3. James Lawrence Yeargan Jr.

Pro

Answered . You most likely cannot pay this citation without having to go to court. Even if you could it would not be a good idea because if you plead guilty, or are convicted, of this charge it will suspend your driver's license for 6 months, and this is a hard suspension meaning there is no limited permit for work. Usually, there are ways of avoiding a marijuana conviction, not having your license suspended, and clearing your record so I would not recommend simply pleading guilty to this charge. Also, in many instances there are lots of defenses to this charge which may be used to get the charge dismissed.