Can I own a business back home and have a J1 visa legally?

Omaha, NE |

I know that you cannot work for another american authorized company except the sponsor and authorized companies by the sponsor. Is it permitted to own (not work for) a business back home (not american)? It would be owning part of an LLC . Would this breach the requirements for a J1 visa?

But what happens if that business has contracts and receives money from a company from the USA? Would that be a problem?

You may own whatever you want in your home country. The J-1 only restricts your ability to work here, not anywhere else in the world. You could manage your whole operations outside the U.S. from your computer in the U.S. and this would not violate your J.

2. But of course. One thing does not conflict with the other...

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

3. I agree. You can own business from your country no problem.

4. You can own a business in your home country. However, you cannot work for that business while you're inside the United States training on a J1 visa.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

5. Yes, it does not restrict your business in your home country. Good Luck!