Can I overstay ESTA by 8 hours?

Asked about 1 year ago - New York, NY

Hello,

I am currently in the US from the UK on the 90-day ESTA visa waiver program.

I arrived on July 23rd in San Francisco at 1.20PM local time, and I am due to depart from NYC on October 21st at 6.20PM local time.

I have worked out that this means I am actually in the USA for 90 days and 8 hours - so 8 hours over the ESTA limit. Does this count as me overstaying my ESTA? If so, would it be best to change my flight so that I leave within the time constraint?

Thank you,

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

4

1

Answered . No! Don't even try that. You'll never be able to come back on the visa waiver program and will need to apply for a B1/B2 visa at your home country's US consulate. Those visas are easily denied.

2. Alena Shautsova

Pro

Answered . If you are overstaying, you should be prepared for the risk of not getting ESTA again.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

1

Answered . ESTA is counted in DAYS, not hours.

Does your arrival stamp say that you need to leave by October 21st? If so, you have until midnight.

4. Daniel Patrick Hanlon

1

Answered . 90 days is the limit. Do no risk your privilege.