Can I order just the sections I need from a deposition transcript if I can't afford to pay for the entire thing?

Asked over 1 year ago - Redwood City, CA

I'm in pro per & need access to, & copies of one or two small sections of 2 deposition transcripts to complete a motion for summary judgment, which I believe, will cause this case to be dismissed. The transcripts in their entirety are very lengthy and expensive--thousands of dollars, most of which frankly, are extraneous. I can't afford the cost of complete copies.

The court reporting co. makes its bread and butter on these things (I get that), & I don't wish to deny them $ for the services provided, but I don't believe that they can force us to purchase the "whole cow" when all we need is a "pound of ground beef." They won't allow us access to identify specific sections that we need, stating the only way that happens is if we buy the whole thing sight unseen. Can they do this legally?

If they can't do this legally, can you point me to the correct sections of the Code Civ. Proc. so that I can address this matter on the correct legal footing? If we can inspect the final version of the transcript, we can identify the specific pages needed and then pay for those sections.

1. Michael Charles Doland

5

Best Answer

Answered . You seem to be aware that most court reporting services will not do this. Many attorneys will also object to the introductin of a partial transcript arguing the quoted matter is taken out of context or there is other information elsewhere which supports their clients. Finally I have never seen a judge accept a partial transcript.

I do understand the economics and costs of litigation and the frustrations.

2. Michael Raymond Daymude

Pro

4

Answered . You either purchase the entire transcript or not at all. Sorry. An exception might be if you can break the transcript down into volumes, sessions, or days. Still, you would have to purchase the entire transcript for that period. If you are on friendly terms with a party who has purchased a copy, perhaps that party would be willing to provide you copies of the pages you need. Good luck.

3. Christine C McCall

Pro

4

Answered . I assume that you are Deft. Was the deponent the Plaintiff? The short way around this problem would be for you to craft some very specific special interrogatories that elicited the info that you are recalling. An interrog answer will serve you just as well as a segment of a depo transcript, and much cheaper. Possibly the same result is achievable with one or more narrowly tailored Req for admissions. The fact that the info was stated in a depo does not mean that is the only place or time that it can be compelled asa statement.

Regular askers on this site often tune out the constant admonitions to litigants that you need legal counsel. But, truth be told, if you were represented by counsel, this issue would not likely present itself. Attorneys tend to know multiple ways to skin the cat, and that often makes a difference in what kinds of obstacles are thrown up in the first instance.

4. Kevin Samuel Sullivan

Pro

3

Answered . no not in my experience.