Skip to main content

Can I or the court make my spouse refinance the house to pay me my equity?

Midlothian, VA |

I was presented with a PSA in February of 2010. Due to the unpleasant atmosphere I moved out. We have been countering on the PSA with regard to how i am to be paid my equity in the marital home. Two appraisals were obtained and the difference is approximately $15K. The Brandenburg method is being used to determine non-marital contributions towards the purchase of the home. I am being countered with "I will pay you 32K over 64 months." Of course, this means my name will continue to be on the mortgage and I would have to sign a quit claim deed. Not gonna happen. I want to split the difference in the 2 appraisals and get my spouse to refinance the home so my name is off of of the mortgage too. It appears my request is being ignored. What are my options?

Attorney Answers 1


I think you asked this question twice. See my prior answer.

Mark as helpful