Can I open a Wells Fargo checking account after bankruptcy Chapter 7?

Minneapolis, MN |

I used to bank with Wells Fargo before my Chapter 7. I had a Wells Fargo credit card that was included in my bankruptcy.

My Chapter 7 was discharged December 2009. Is it safe to re-open a checking account with them?

1. This should not be a problem.

If you did hire a lawyer for your case, you should feel free to contact him or her about post-bankruptcy questions like this. Good luck.

2. It shouldn't be a problem so long as all of your debt with them was discharged. Good luck.

3. The bank cannot discriminate against you just because you filed bankruptcy. However, your credit is an issue for a bank when opening an account.

The bank also cannot take your money to pay for a debt that has been discharged; you can sue for that. Wells Fargo has been known to freeze accounts when an account holder files for bankruptcy and has been known to seize accounts of people that owe them money. However, you no longer owed them money once your debt was discharged.

Bank where you want and be careful.