Can I open a Wells Fargo checking account after bankruptcy Chapter 7?

Asked over 4 years ago - Minneapolis, MN

I used to bank with Wells Fargo before my Chapter 7. I had a Wells Fargo credit card that was included in my bankruptcy.

My Chapter 7 was discharged December 2009. Is it safe to re-open a checking account with them?

1. Robert W. Kovacs Jr.

Pro

Answered . This should not be a problem.

If you did hire a lawyer for your case, you should feel free to contact him or her about post-bankruptcy questions like this. Good luck.

2. Alon Joseph Nager

Pro

Answered . It shouldn't be a problem so long as all of your debt with them was discharged. Good luck.

3. Mitchell Paul Goldstein

Answered . The bank cannot discriminate against you just because you filed bankruptcy. However, your credit is an issue for a bank when opening an account.

The bank also cannot take your money to pay for a debt that has been discharged; you can sue for that. Wells Fargo has been known to freeze accounts when an account holder files for bankruptcy and has been known to seize accounts of people that owe them money. However, you no longer owed them money once your debt was discharged.

Bank where you want and be careful.

Avvo advisor logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 15-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $39 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now