Can I officiate a marriage according to Texas law?

Asked over 1 year ago - Richland Hills, TX

I am not an ordained or licensed minister, but I am a volunteer chaplain for emergency services

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Martin Ben Zimmerman

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . Without a license or recognized ordination, you CANNOT legally charge a fee for your services. There is no requirement that the official who presides at a wedding or signs the marriage license is a minister or elected official, however if you want to charge a fee, you must have a legal basis to do such.

    Martin Zimmerman, P.C. 189 E. San Antonio St. P.O. Box 310704 New Braunfels, Texas 78131-0704 Tel: (830) 606-... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,045 answers this week

3,073 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,045 answers this week

3,073 attorneys answering