Can I obtain guardianship for my daughter's Brazilian friend so she can complete high school in the US?

Asked almost 4 years ago - Salt Lake City, UT

She has lived in the US for 3-4 years and just recently moved back to Brazil. Now she wants to return to finish high school. Her mother wants us to adopt her but I do not want to do that. Can we just have guardianship until she turns 18?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Randall J Holmgren

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . I believe you can obtain guardianship if your daughter's Brazilian friend is a legal resident in the U.S.. If you want to know for sure, call me at 801 534 7208 and I'll ask one of the immigration attorneys in our law firm.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,116 answers this week

2,715 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,116 answers this week

2,715 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary