Can I obtain from NYS Division of Corporations copies of original corporation docs and all amendments made to it to date?

Bronx, NY |

I need to see what amendments have been made to my corporation without my knowledge. Ex-wife was the secretary on the corporation back in 1979/80 and she may have made changes without me knowing. If I need to obtain a lawyer - what type of lawyer would I need? Business, Corporation, Civil, etc.?

1. You can check with the secretary of state to see what is filed with them and whether the corporation is in good standing. Keep in mind that not all changes the corporation get filed with the secretary of state and not all shareholders are listed. You would need a civil litigation attorney with a business background in this case to subpoena the corporate records from your wife.

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this e-mail and all copies and attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless specifically stated otherwise, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Unless specifically stated otherwise, this communication shall not be deemed to be legal or tax advice, and no attorney-client relationship shall be deemed to have been created.

2. I agree with Mr. Chertock. The secretary of state's office will have the yearly filings that the corporation made. That will have most of the changes. Other than that, if you are a shareholder you can ask to see the most current articles of incorporation and bylaws from the Board of Directors.

As for what type of lawyer you need, as there is not an issue presented here it is difficult to say. However, if there is an issue with the corporate documents a business litigation attorney would be able to assist you.

DISCLAIMER: THE ABOVE INFORMATION IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE AND AN ATTORNEY CLIENT RELATIONSHIP IS NOT CREATED. THIS IS GENERAL INFORMATION AND LAWS VARY FROM STATE TO STATE. PLEASE CHECK WITH A LOCAL ATTORNEY OR CONTACT THE IRS OR STATE TAXING AUTHORITY WITH ANY QUESTIONS.

3. I agree with the answers of Mr. Chertock and Mr. Jayson. Generally only original (or copies of) corporation filings, registered agents, and annual filings will be kept at the Secretary of State. Meeting minutes and consents to action won't be found there. Generally, a shareholder or unit holder is allowed to request inspection of books and records of the company. Most state corporation statutes require that the company keep a copy of the by-laws or operating agreement and any amendments thereto, list of shareholders or unit holders with their contact information, minutes of meetings, consents to action, etc. I would seek an attorney with corporate governance and business litigation experience.

This information does not create an attorney-client relationship nor does it constitute legal advice. Evaluate this information and independently decide how to proceed. Consult an attorney who practices in the county in question.

Litigation topics