Can I obtain an EPO for my children?

Asked 8 months ago - Alexandria, VA

My children come to visits with bruises (grab marks) on their arms. CPS has been contacted a few times in the past, but nothing was really done. If my children come again with a bruise, I'm going to take them to a peds ER where they have forensics. Will I be able to obtain an emergency protective order from a magistrate, so I don't have to send the kids back right away? My concern is that if my ex finds out I contacted someone about the bruises, that he will get even angrier at our kids (and me). I don't want anything else to happen to my girls.

1. Mary G. Commander

Answered . I expect that in the case of bruises only, the magistrate will not issue an EPO and will refer you to CPS. You always have the option of filing for custody if you believe that your children are being abused by the other parent.