Skip to main content

Can I obtain an EPO for my children?

Alexandria, VA |

My children come to visits with bruises (grab marks) on their arms. CPS has been contacted a few times in the past, but nothing was really done. If my children come again with a bruise, I'm going to take them to a peds ER where they have forensics. Will I be able to obtain an emergency protective order from a magistrate, so I don't have to send the kids back right away? My concern is that if my ex finds out I contacted someone about the bruises, that he will get even angrier at our kids (and me). I don't want anything else to happen to my girls.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


I expect that in the case of bruises only, the magistrate will not issue an EPO and will refer you to CPS. You always have the option of filing for custody if you believe that your children are being abused by the other parent.

This response does not create an attorney-client relationship and is intended for general information purposes only. For specific information regarding your case, call my office at 757-533-5400 to schedule a consultation.

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer