Can I obtain a passport if I have a Felony record? I have a restitution but no longer able to pay back last year.

Asked over 1 year ago - Hollywood, Los Angeles, CA

Hello:
I am trying to get out of the country to visit my grand-parent's memorial park in another country but my passport expired. My family is going buy ticket for me. Can I able to obtain one if I have a felony record in 2005? I am no longer in any formal/informal probation. However, I have a restitution on my record but I am no longer able to pay since 2012 after lost my job. It said in the letter that they would put a lien on my property for not paying back the restitution which I am trying to fight for it. I had 2 appeal/criminal lawyers to take care my case back then but both of them only tried to get my money instead helping me, if I knew back then I used that money to pay off and get on with my life. Pls advise what best for my scenario. Thanks in advance.

1. Kelvin P. Green

4

Answered . I am going to tell you that it does depend on the felony.. If it was a drug offense that used international borders, if the courts ordered you to not leave the country.. There are some compulsory and discretionary reasons for denial. Only the State Department makes the final decision and you wont know unless you apply.... Other countries are a different story and you will need to check where yuare going

2. Stephen Ross Cohen

3

Answered . You have a second problem, depending on the felon y charges and the country you wish to visit, that country might not issue you a visa. You should check with their consulate.

3. Michael Douglas Shafer

1

Answered . Depends on the 2005 felony. Some countries will not allow admission and the US could deny the application. Nothing to lose by trying. The State Department will notify you.