Skip to main content

Can I obtain a passport if I have a Felony record? I have a restitution but no longer able to pay back last year.

Hollywood, Los Angeles, CA |

I am trying to get out of the country to visit my grand-parent's memorial park in another country but my passport expired. My family is going buy ticket for me. Can I able to obtain one if I have a felony record in 2005? I am no longer in any formal/informal probation. However, I have a restitution on my record but I am no longer able to pay since 2012 after lost my job. It said in the letter that they would put a lien on my property for not paying back the restitution which I am trying to fight for it. I had 2 appeal/criminal lawyers to take care my case back then but both of them only tried to get my money instead helping me, if I knew back then I used that money to pay off and get on with my life. Pls advise what best for my scenario. Thanks in advance.

Attorney Answers 3


You have a second problem, depending on the felon y charges and the country you wish to visit, that country might not issue you a visa. You should check with their consulate.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and I have practiced over 38 years and can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practiced mainly in Los Angeles and Orange County, California. I am not seeking clients from existing relationships with other attorneys, and give only limited advise over the phone (the phone is primarily used to set appointments), these services do not create an attorney client relationship. I apologize for mispelling< as I am a lousy typist, My answers may offend as I do not believe in pulling punches or sugar coating the truth. Further regarding courts in other states my opinions are largely based on logic and what I think is the modern trend which is to consider the needs of the child.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


I am going to tell you that it does depend on the felony.. If it was a drug offense that used international borders, if the courts ordered you to not leave the country.. There are some compulsory and discretionary reasons for denial. Only the State Department makes the final decision and you wont know unless you apply.... Other countries are a different story and you will need to check where yuare going

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


Depends on the 2005 felony. Some countries will not allow admission and the US could deny the application. Nothing to lose by trying. The State Department will notify you.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics