Skip to main content

Can I obtain a drivers license?

Atlanta, GA |

I am currently revoked in the state of Colorado until January of 2014. I am eligible for an interlock restricted license in April of 2013, however only if I am a resident of Colorado. I will be moving to Atlanta this October. Can I obtain a license for work purposes only, or apply for a restricted license in Georgia, or do I have to wait until January of 2014 until I can obtain any license?

Attorney Answers 3


Much of the answer depends on the reasons for the revocation, and the dates of the convictions that lead to the revocation. But generally, the answer is, not until your Colorado license is cleared up.

With a printout of your Colorado driver's history, I can contact the Georgia DDS and get and exact answer for you.

Thanks for reading my response to this question. If your found this answer "Helpful" or "The Best Answer" PLEASE MARK IT, because Avvo awards me points. Thank you! Note that the questioner and any reader do not have an attorney-client relationship formed by our communications on this website. Advice given by me on this website is general advice based on partial information. You should not rely on any advice given without first hiring a lawyer in the area where the case is pending, and providing that lawyer with full information.

Mark as helpful


Probably not until something is done to fix the suspension in Colorado. The question is going to be whether getting the interlock permit in Colorado, or the eligibility for it there would allow you to get the same type of permit here. I agree with Mr. Ladd. You would need to pull your driver's history and have someone down here get in touch with DMVS to see what the requirements would be.

The above information is general in nature. In order to obtain more specific and legal advice upon which to base your important decisions, please contact our office directly for a free phone or in person consultation. Robert M. Gardner, Jr. Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP 53 W. Candler St. Or 718 Oak St. Winder, Ga. 30680 Gainesville, Georgia (770) 307-4899 (770) 538-0555 serving metro Atlanta and all of Northeast Georgia Bankruptcy, Divorce, Personal Injury, Worker’s Compensation, Medical Malpractice, Adoption, Civil and Criminal Litigation

Mark as helpful


No, no and no. We live in a wonderful county and can travel, stay and do many thinks without changing our residence. I would speak with a wonderful and expert DUI lawyer in Co. before taking any step that might set you off on the wrong course. Bottom line, is you will need to clear or reinstate there before Ga. will give you any help, period.

I am an attorney, practicing throughout the state of Georgia, but primarily in the areas around Augusta, Statesboro and Savannah, Georgia. You may review more information about my practice by going to: The information I am providing you should only be considered for your general knowledge and educational purposes. Consider it as a good first step in your knowledge acquisition, but not as legal advice. Indeed, any information I provide is based on the extremely limited facts you have provided and new facts could substantially alter any answer or reply. My opinion should be understood to apply only to the laws of the State of Georgia. You should always consult with a local attorney about your situation if you live outside of the State of Georgia.

Mark as helpful

Traffic tickets topics

Recommended articles about Traffic tickets

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics