Can I obtain a Driver License in another state if one state currently has a suspension on one?

Washington, DC |

I received a Driver License from Washington, DC three years ago when I moved to the District. I am thinking about moving to Virginia or Maryland due to the cost of living, but currently, a license a I had in another state is suspended (even though the suspension expired over a year ago). Since I currently have an active and valid license in DC, would Virginia or Maryland potentially prohibit me from obtaining a license since the license from the other state is not valid EVEN though my DC license is active and valid? Thanks!

No, you cannot get a license in another state until you clear the suspension. Every state, all federal territories and Dc participate in the National Driver Registry. All agree that they will not issue a license to someone who is suspended in another state. When you app;y for a license in the new state you will be asked whether your license is suspended in any other state. If you say yes they will deny you a license. If you say no they will check the National Driver Registry and find the suspension. They will deny you a license and, in some cases, prosecute you criminally for falsifying the application.

DISCLAIMER- THIS IS NOT INTENDED TO AND DOES NOT CONSTITUTE LEGAL ADVICE AND DOES NOT ESTABLISH AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP. CONSULT QUALIFIED LEGAL COUNSEL IN YOUR CITY OR STATE FOR IMMEDIATE LEGAL ADVICE.

You say that the other State's suspension has expired. So, unless you have an outstanding reinstatement fee or some other reason the suspension wound't be completely over with, nothing will prevent you from getting a MD license. I can't speak for Virginia because I don't practice there. However, if you do have an active suspension from the other State, you would be committing a crime by obtaining a Maryland license because one of the questions you will be asked during the application is whether you are suspended in any other State. And if they find out about it, not only will you not get the MD license, but the on-site State Trooper may come over and say Hi.

Nothing posted by Mr. Cleckner on Avvo or in response to an Avvo question or request is intended to be considered legal advice or an attorney-client relationship. For actual legal advice, please contact an attorney for a (usually free) in-depth consultation where your entire situation can be evaluated.

Clear up all outstanding reinstatement fees and license requirements (note just because your suspension time maybe done you may still have to satisfy other reinstatement requirements) before you move to be safe so you don't have any problems getting a license in Virginia or Maryland when you move there.

This is not intended as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship exists because of this response.

Traffic tickets topics