Can I obtain a copy of my original birth certificate?

Asked over 2 years ago - Odenville, AL

I want it to use as a tool to help find my mother that I haven't seen in 28 years.My current birth certificate was amended.Her info removed,my fathers info added and my name changed.It was not an adoption.I've been told that I cant get it.

1. Mark S. Solomon

Answered . Usually, when a court finalized an adoption, the record is sealed and agencies are ordered not to disclose the original parent. In fact, in Kentucky, I had a client whose address changed in the middle of the adoption case several years earlier, and he never updated the court with his new address. He never found out what happened. The clerks were following correct procedure by not disclosing any information about the case to him without a judicial order. The idea is to protect confidences for all parties.

If you have any hope of getting these types of records unsealed, you will probably need a lawyer.