Can I now purchase a gun/firearm after case dismissal (Deferred Drug Court)? Case placed on admin docket and then dismissed.

Birmingham, AL |

I was charged with Drug possession and my lawyer had me enter a Drug court which has two programs "plea in" and "deferred". I was selected for the shorter duration "Deferred Prosecution" route which placed my case on the administrative docket. I have now graduated and charges dismissed. I received a "Order of Dismissal" That states:

"Order of Dismissal

The above-referenced Defendant having completed all requirements of Deferred Prosecution in accordance with the conditional order of dismissal entered in this matter, the above case(s) are hereby Dismissed WITH Prejudice."

Done this 18th day of January, 2013.

Then it is signed by the Circuit court judge."

So am I essentially restored to a normal citizen? I don't want to attempt to purchase a gun if I am misunderstanding this.

Since the court has granted you deferred prosecution, your case has been dismissed as the order states. This means that you are elegible to apply for a license to own a firearm. There will be a record of your arrest and no guarantee you will get the license, but you have not been convicted of any crime due to completing the program and obtaining the dismissal.