Can i move to texas before getting sued?

Asked about 1 year ago - Little Rock, AR

I involved into accident which was my fault and i did not had any auto insurance. The other party got severe injuries and I had only SLP coverage for the other driver which covers some of his medical cost about 1,00,000$. but still am afraid of getting sued by him and may lead to wage garnishment because i do not have any personal assets. Can i move to texas before wages are getting garnished or sued.

1. Craig Bernard Mitchell

10

Answered . You can move wherever you want and still be served with a lawsuit. It might be a little more complicated, but it will happen.

2. Scott Allen Scholl

Pro

8

Answered . If you were driving in Arkansas and caused an accident, the injured party can still bring a lawsuit, in Arkansas, against you regardless of whether or not you have moved prior to the filing of the suit.

Then, if that party obtains a judgment against you, they can register the judgment in Texas or whatever other state you have moved to and enforce the judgment against you there.

3. Daniel Nelson Deasy

9

Answered . Are you really asking a bunch of attorneys whether you can go hide out in another state to avoid a lawsuit?

I don't think any of us will answer that with a "yes."

4. Erik Priedkalns

7

Answered . I wouldn't.

Pro

6

Answered . Put yourself in his shoes, and do what is right

6. Philip Anthony Fabiano

5

1

Answered . You can move wherever you want. The lawsuit will follow you there. If you are asking whether you can avoid wage garnishment if you move to a state that does not permit wage garnishment to collect on a personal injury judgment, that's an interesting question. If you have no reason to move out of Texas but to avoid a garnishment, then you "may" have trouble with that.
    If you are responsible for causing someone harm, why do you not want to take responsibility for what you did? Where did you grow up?

7. Stephen Ross Cohen

5

Answered . Yes, but notify your insurance company