Skip to main content

Can I move to Maryland while my PA divorce is in progress?

York, PA |

I live in PA but work in Baltimore. I would prefer to move to Baltimore as soon as possible.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. No law requires you to stay in one place. If children are involved, you must file for relocation before relocating.

    Some other reason might compel you to remain where you are during the divorce, for various reasons such as protecting marital property from dissipation. Speak with an attorney if you have any questions specific to your case that might require research or more detailed analysis.

  2. As long as there are no children involved (custody), there is no reason that you must stay in PA in regards to the divorce. Contact your attorney as to upcoming hearings and make sure the court has you new address

    Good luck with your move.

    Sheryl R. Rentz
    326 West Lancaster Avenue
    Suite 100
    Ardmore, PA 19003
    610-645-0111 (fax)

  3. As long as you are not taking any children without a court permission you as an adult are free to live wherever you want regardless of whether a divorce is pending.

  4. Yes as long as it does not involve children

    My name is Stephen R. Cohen and I have practiced over 38 years and can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practiced mainly in Los Angeles and Orange County, California. I am not seeking clients from existing relationships with other attorneys, and give only limited advise over the phone (the phone is primarily used to set appointments), these services do not create an attorney client relationship. I apologize for mispelling< as I am a lousy typist, My answers may offend as I do not believe in pulling punches or sugar coating the truth. Further regarding courts in other states my opinions are largely based on logic and what I think is the modern trend which is to consider the needs of the child.

Child custody topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics