Skip to main content

Can I move to another area where I have a job offer to better support my children?

Norwich, NY |
Filed under: Family law

I have physical placement of our children and their father has visitation. He has not kept previous schedules and is ordered to pay support. He has already been in jail for not paying support. He was just ordered a new visitation schedule in which he demanded that the children miss Church on Sunday to be with him.

Attorney Answers 4


The smart move would be to file a relocation petition. If you move without the court's permission then NY will retain the right to hear your custody case for 6 months after you leave.

The above answer is intended for informational purposes and is not legal advice. It does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


If you wish to move out of state, you need to file a petition for relocation. Speak to an attorney to help you with this matter.

I am an attorney with over a decade of experience in Matrimonial and Family Law with offices in Brooklyn and Manhattan. I have experience in all five boroughs as well is Nassau and Suffolk County. The opinion expressed in this ad based upon the limited information provided and do not indicate an attorney-client relationship

Mark as helpful


Don't move prior to filing a relocation petition, otherwise you may lose that job offer and have you and your children's lives disrupted. Consult with counsel.

The content of this post is not legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. I am not your attorney and no attorney-client relationship has been formed based upon this exchange.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


You should file a request to relocate. If you moved without doing so the Court could direct you to return home to New York.

This for general information purposes only and should not be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics