Can I move to another area where I have a job offer to better support my children?

Asked 5 months ago - Norwich, NY

I have physical placement of our children and their father has visitation. He has not kept previous schedules and is ordered to pay support. He has already been in jail for not paying support. He was just ordered a new visitation schedule in which he demanded that the children miss Church on Sunday to be with him.

1. Louis Lawrence Sternberg

Pro

2

Answered . The smart move would be to file a relocation petition. If you move without the court's permission then NY will retain the right to hear your custody case for 6 months after you leave.

2. Michael Drew DiFalco

2

Answered . Don't move prior to filing a relocation petition, otherwise you may lose that job offer and have you and your children's lives disrupted. Consult with counsel.

3. Ian S. Mednick

Pro

1

Answered . You should file a request to relocate. If you moved without doing so the Court could direct you to return home to New York.

4. David Zaslavsky

Answered . If you wish to move out of state, you need to file a petition for relocation. Speak to an attorney to help you with this matter.