Skip to main content

Can I move to a different state while waiting on my DUI case to go to court?

Atlanta, GA |

I got my DUI in GA. License is suspended. Was in the process of preparing to move when I received the DUI. Can I move before I potentially get put on probation.

Attorney Answers 6

  1. Assuming there are no limitations with your bond (and there shouldnt be), you can certainly leave the state so long as you come back or have an attorney appear on your behalf for any scheduled court appearances.

  2. As long as you don't have any bond conditions that don't allow to leave the state of Georgia, you are free to leave. Typically living out of state is not a problem if you end up on misdemeanor probation. Your attorney would be the best one to answer this question.

  3. Read your terms and conditions on the bond in the instant pending case carefully: there should be a box marked that expressly states that you may not leave the boundaries of the state without the court order until the final disposition of that case.
    I think a prudent person would retain a local licensed counsel to complete this matter expeditiously and make proper legal motions to permit moving to another state if statutorily possible (to complete counseling, classes, etc.)

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one's personal legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

  4. Yes, but notify the clerk of court and your bondsman of your new address.

  5. We don't live in the Soviet Union. You can move to another state. One thing to be aware of is that license suspensions get complicated when your license is in one state and you have a DUI in another. I would suggest you keep your Georgia license until it gets reinstated before getting one in the new state.

  6. As my colleagues suggest, absent restrictions on your bond or from the court you may.

    make sure your attorney is aware of your plans and can easily reach you if need be.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics