Can I move to a different county without violation of probation?

I moved and transferred probation from Howard County IN to Allen County IN a year ago. I'm wanting to move to Huntington in a month. My Allen County PO has been less then helpful and refers any questions to sentencing county. Howard County will not transfer my Probation again according to them because I only have 4 months left. My question is can I move to different county but still report to Allen Co. PO for approx. the last 2-3 months without it violating my probation?

Fort Wayne, IN -

Attorney Answers (2)

Randy William Ferguson

Randy William Ferguson

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Huntsville, AL

Read your rules of probation or ask your officer. If they say no, then deal with it for four months.

Paul E Knost

Paul E Knost

Criminal Defense Attorney - Tolleson, AZ

You cannot move to a different county unless your probation officer okays it or unless it is specifically allowed by the written terms of your probation. Being on probation means you do not have the same freedom as everyone else.

This is not legal advice. This is only intended for public informational purposes. Legal advice can only be given in a confidential setting with a lawyer. Websites like this are useful, but contain inherent limitations. Keep in mind that laws differ from state to state. If you have a criminal charge, you should consult with a local lawyer in your community for confidential legal advice.

Related Advice

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.