Skip to main content

Can I move to a different county without violation of probation?

Fort Wayne, IN |

I moved and transferred probation from Howard County IN to Allen County IN a year ago. I'm wanting to move to Huntington in a month. My Allen County PO has been less then helpful and refers any questions to sentencing county. Howard County will not transfer my Probation again according to them because I only have 4 months left. My question is can I move to different county but still report to Allen Co. PO for approx. the last 2-3 months without it violating my probation?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Read your rules of probation or ask your officer. If they say no, then deal with it for four months.


You cannot move to a different county unless your probation officer okays it or unless it is specifically allowed by the written terms of your probation. Being on probation means you do not have the same freedom as everyone else.

This is not legal advice. This is only intended for public informational purposes. Legal advice can only be given in a confidential setting with a lawyer. Websites like this are useful, but contain inherent limitations. Keep in mind that laws differ from state to state. If you have a criminal charge, you should consult with a local lawyer in your community for confidential legal advice.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer