Can i move out of the country while on probation for a misdemeanor?

Coxs Creek, KY |

I am convicted of criminal trespassing and possession of marijuana and I was under 18 at the time, so I was charged as a juvenile. Can I still travel or possibly even move out of the country if I'm still on probation?

Read your conditions of probation. They typically require court permission to leave the state.

Answers presented on this website are intended only for informational purposes and any use of the contained material is at the users own risk. Answers are intended exclusively as a public resource for general information, and this information is intended, but is not promised or guaranteed to be, correct, up-to-date, or complete. This material is not intended to constitute legal advice, as an agreement to create an attorney-client relationship with the law offices of Mitchell S. Sexner & Associates LLC, or the provision of legal services, and receipt of this information does not constitute such an agreement. If legal or other specific expert advice is required, then the services of a competent professional should be sought.O

I assume you were charged and convicted as a juvenile. The District Court Judge set out the conditions of your probation at the time of sentencing. You need to contact a competent criminal defense attorney in your area to review the order, to file a petition to expunge your juvenile record, and see if the court has lost jurisdiction now that you are over 18. In general, there are not any travel restrictions on misdemeanor convictions, but look at the court order to be sure.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

Juvenile law topics

Recommended articles about Juvenile law