Can i move out of the country while on probation for a misdemeanor?

Asked over 2 years ago - Coxs Creek, KY

I am convicted of criminal trespassing and possession of marijuana and I was under 18 at the time, so I was charged as a juvenile. Can I still travel or possibly even move out of the country if I'm still on probation?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Frank Mascagni III

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I assume you were charged and convicted as a juvenile. The District Court Judge set out the conditions of your probation at the time of sentencing. You need to contact a competent criminal defense attorney in your area to review the order, to file a petition to expunge your juvenile record, and see if the court has lost jurisdiction now that you are over 18. In general, there are not any travel restrictions on misdemeanor convictions, but look at the court order to be sure.

    I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this... more
  2. Mitchell Scott Sexner


    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . Read your conditions of probation. They typically require court permission to leave the state.

    Answers presented on this website are intended only for informational purposes and any use of the contained... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,503 answers this week

3,365 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,503 answers this week

3,365 attorneys answering