Can i move out of the country while on probation for a misdemeanor?

Asked over 2 years ago - Coxs Creek, KY

I am convicted of criminal trespassing and possession of marijuana and I was under 18 at the time, so I was charged as a juvenile. Can I still travel or possibly even move out of the country if I'm still on probation?

1. Frank Mascagni III

Answered . I assume you were charged and convicted as a juvenile. The District Court Judge set out the conditions of your probation at the time of sentencing. You need to contact a competent criminal defense attorney in your area to review the order, to file a petition to expunge your juvenile record, and see if the court has lost jurisdiction now that you are over 18. In general, there are not any travel restrictions on misdemeanor convictions, but look at the court order to be sure.

2. Mitchell Scott Sexner

Pro

Answered . Read your conditions of probation. They typically require court permission to leave the state.