Skip to main content

Can I move out of state after I have physical custody of my child

Tampa, FL |

My spouse and I have no relatives in the state that we are living. Can I move out of state after I have physical custody of my child so that my child could have more relationship with her cousins and grandparents?

Attorney Answers 1


I'll assume for purposes of this question that you were given custody by the family court. I'll also assume that the other parent has some form of custody rights or, at a minimum, visitation rights. Based on those assumptions and absent the other parent's consent, you would need the court's permission before leaving the state.

THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.

Mark as helpful

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics