Can i move out of my house if i am 18 and still in high school??

Asked over 3 years ago - Wendell, NC

i live in North Carolina and i am 18 and want to move out my parents are being to harsh on me or atleast i feel that they are they dont like my boyfriend and they are trying to take away my car that is in my name that i paid for and my phone which was a gift but if they want it they can have it because i can afford to buy another one i do have a job i work part-time and my parents and i are not getting along with anything anymore but i am still a student in high school....

Attorney answers (2)

  1. John G. Miskey IV


    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . You are 18, you can sign a lease to rent an apartment and move out. You should consult with your school about residency requirements.

    Our office schedules phone and office consultations to review cases concerning North Carolina legal issues. This answer does not establish an attorney-client relationship but is a response to a hypothetical scenario and should not be construed as legal advice.

  2. Thomas John Kreger

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . Yes. Now that you are 18 years old, you can rent your own residence, enter into legal contracts on your own behalf, etc. However, your question is somewhat vague. Do you have some specific legal concerns about moving out of your parents' house that you'd like to ask about? I'm happy to provide you with more specific answers if you will provide more details about what legal concerns you have with moving out of your parents' home.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,119 answers this week

3,115 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,119 answers this week

3,115 attorneys answering