Can I move out at the age of 17 in New York?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Lake Ronkonkoma, NY

I am currently living with both my parents. I'm in my last year of high school and am working two jobs. My house is very unstable and is causing a lot of stress on me. My boyfriends mother is willing to take me in but I know if I were to leave my mom would call the cops on me. At the age of 17 in NY can I be forced to return home? Even if the house is not a good environment for me?

1. Mary Katherine Brown

Pro

Answered . Yes, it is possible for you to become emancipated, which distinguishes your parent's responsibility for you entirely and forever. This may not be a good idea, but, here is a link to some information and resources that may be helpful to you: http://www.empirestatecoalition.org/main/legal/... Good luck!