Skip to main content

Can i move out at age 17 if am pregnant

Fontana, CA |

my parents might not support me and i want to move out with my boyfriend

Attorney Answers 5

  1. You ALL, b.f., family from both sides and whoever else may be affected, need to sit down and talk, not yell, talk. If you are not ready to do this, you are not ready to be on your own and not ready to raise a child.

  2. Legally, your parents are in charge of your living situation until you are 18. I agree with my colleague; if it's possible, have everyone meet and discuss your options. If it's not possible, you will need your parents consent. Good luck to you.

  3. In addition to Mr. Kaufman's very sound advice, if you cannot reach a satisfactory arrangement, you can file a request for "emancipation". You need to talk with an experienced family law attorney to assist you. You can consult with a lawyer about your question for little or no cost through a lawyer referral service in your area. You can find your nearest lawyer referral service by clicking on the link below.

    If you found this response helpful, please let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this response. Thank you. Mr. Richardson can be reached at 650.324.4801 and practices in San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties, concentrating in non-adversarial dispute resolution as a mediator and collaborative lawyer. The California State Bar Board of Legal Specialization certifies Mr. Richardson as a specialist in California Family Law. He offers no comments or advice with respect to the laws of any state or jurisdiction other than California. The above answer is a general explanation of legal rights and procedures. Mr. Richardson is not your lawyer unless and until you and he have personally met together. This post does not constitute legal advice, and no lawyer client relationship results.

  4. If you mean "if", then don't get pregnant.
    If you mean "since", then consider Cal. Family Code Section 7002 relating to emancipation by declaration or marriage:
    "A person under the age of 18 years is an emancipated minor if any of the following conditions is satisfied:
    (a) The person has entered into a valid marriage, whether or not the marriage has been dissolved.
    (b) The person is on active duty with the armed forces of the United States.
    (c) The person has received a declaration of emancipation pursuant to Section 7122."

    Cal. Family Code Section 302 allows emancipation by marriage authorized by Court order where each minor has one parent consenting:
    "(a) An unmarried male or female under the age of 18 years is capable of consenting to and consummating marriage upon obtaining a court order granting permission to the underage person or persons to marry.
    (b) The court order and written consent of the parents of each underage person, or of one of the parents or the guardian of each underage person shall be filed with the clerk of the court, and a certified copy of the order shall be presented to the county clerk at the time the marriage license is issued."

  5. Your parents can request statutory rape charges to be filed against your boyfriend. You had no right to consent to sex before you are 18. If they wanted to get tough, your boyfriend could be in a lot of trouble. Be smart. Approach your parents and talk to them, get their blessing and possibly nothing else will happen.
    Los Angeles Criminal Defense Trial Lawyer

    I am licensed to practice in the state of California. I handle cases from Sacramento to San Diego. I have handled cases in Federal District courts from Alaska and throughout the United States. My comments and opinions are based on California law and are based on the limited information provided in the question. Legal questions are usually fact specific and a few facts can and often does change the opinion I would give. It is better to consult with an attorney in your jurisdiction (your geographic area) and provide specific details regarding your case in private. You would get more specific advice. The contents of the conversations with your attorney are confidential and are protected from being revealed. The statements made in this public forum (AVVO) are not confidential and could be revealed. Therefore, you must be very careful in the details you provide. Do not disclose information that could be a crime or that could be used in order to prove a crime was committed. If you are in California and want to clarify any of my answers, feel free to contact me.