Can i move out at 17 even if my mom doesn't want me to what are my rights?

Asked 2 months ago - Saint Louis, MO

my mom doesn't want me to live with my dad. she has full custody. i want to move out at 17 and go live with my dad.

1. M. Todd Miller

Answered . We receive this question all the time on AVVO. Sit down and discuss your differences at length with your parents. You won't like the long-term affect if you move out on bad terms and you really don't have a strong legal position until 18.

2. Michael Leslie Taylor

Answered . In order to change an existing custody order it is necessary to obtain a Judgment of Modification from the court. In Missouri, a minor can not simply decide to live with the other parent if the parent having custody objects. However, your custodial preference, is a factor in a judges' decision regarding a request to modify. The older the minor the more weight a judge usually gives to a minor's custodial preference. I am sure your mother loves you and wants what she believes is best for you and I am sure your father feels the same. Your parents need to discuss the issue and I hope jointly agree on what is best in your situation. A family counselor might help everyone with this issue. Take care.

3. Melvin G. Franke

Answered . Have your dad file a motion to odify