Can i move from Pennsylvania to Florida and transfer my dui responsabilities

Asked almost 3 years ago - Cape Coral, FL

I presently live in Pennsylvania but want to move to Florida but i still owe on court costs and fines and still have classes to take. Can i get everthing switched to Florida and do my classes here?

1. Garry Lee Potts

1

Answered . From your question it sounds as if you are still on probation in Pennsylvania. If you are, you should be able to move, but only after your judge approves transfer of probation to Florida, and Florida accepts it. Under the Interstate Compact for Adult Offender Supervision, which both Florida and Pennsylvania have joined, you cannot relocate until after the new state accepts you. If you have any doubts as to your probation status or how to go about getting the transfer permission, you need to get an experienced criminal attorney to represent you. Good luck!

2. Thomas S. Hudson

Pro

Answered . Your question is more dependent on Pennsylvania law than on Florida law. Some jurisdictions (including Florida) allow "mail-in" probation, so that it isn't even necessary to get Florida's acceptance of you as a probationer. You should inquire with the lawyer who represented you in Pennsylvania to see if this is possible in your case. Otherwise, it may be necessary to go through the Interstate Compact. However, I would inquire about the possibility of mail-in (or even the possibility of moving for an early termination of your Pennsylvania probation if you have done a substantial part of it, completed your special conditions and not had any violations.