Can I Move after filing N-400?

Asked 12 months ago - Urbana, IL

I am eligible to apply for naturalization in November 2013 (I became permanent resident in February 2009 so this November will be 5 years minus 3 months since I became LPR).

I know I have to be residing in the same state for at least 3 months before I applied and indeed I lived in Illinois for 2 years, but have to move to New York for a new job in January 2014).

Can I still apply, or my application will be canceled after I move? Is it required to live in the same state only 3 Month before I apply OR I should reside in the same state for the whole process? Does it make any difference in this regards if I apply through an attorney (i.e. if I move to another state can the attorney in the state I started the application still follow my case?)

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

6

1

Answered . Best to file when you start living in NY rather than file in ILL, move, request file transfer and risk USCIS losing your file, which I almost guarantee they will.

2. Aggie Rachel Hoffman

5

1

Answered . The 3 month requirement is not one of physical residency. It is a period before the 5 yrs that you may file the application. You will be eligible to file in NY as soon as you have your new address. It is better than requesting a file transfer which risks misplacement of your file.

3. Aneliya M. Angelova

Pro

5

Answered . You are correct about the 3 month residency requirement.
    "Applicants are required to show they have resided for at least three months immediately preceding the filing of Form N-400 in the USCIS district or state where the applicant claims to have residency (See 8 CFR §316.2(a)(5) & §319.1(a)(5))."
    Apply and the file change of address form

609-271-3573. This answer is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice.
  4. Dhenu Mitesh Savla

Pro

3

Answered . Better once you move to NY. But if you have an IL attorney, no problem. Immigration attorneys can file cases for clients residing anywhere.

Dhenu Savla, Esq.
    SwagatUSA, LLC
    www.swagatusa.com/attorney

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.
  5. Kevin Lawrence Dixler

Pro

2

Answered . The USCIS requires you to establish residency 90 days before filing. Have you lived in Illinois for the last 90 days? If so, the 'subsequent' transfer request will have no effect on the residence rule.

In other words, if you file now and identify Illinois as your residence, then the USCIS delay will not be used against you if you must move in January. However, you may want to hire a competent attorney who appreciates the law, regulations, AILA liaison notes, and situation to assist with the matter.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.
  6. Gunda Johanna Brost

Pro

2

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues that your best option would be to file it from New York as soon as you have a permanent address there - no need to wait 3 months. Speak with your IL immigration attorney about your move and what their advice may be. Make sure you keep immigration updated of any address change(s) in a timely manner.

One or more answers have been taken down.