Skip to main content

Can I marry the same immigrant I divorce with?

Atlanta, GA |

My husband and I are planning on getting a divorce and getting remarried years later. Our marriage is not a fraud and there is no problem with it but its just that he has to go back to his home country for family reasons and has not received his green card yet either. Can we still get married to each other later?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Yes you may, as long as there is no fraud involved, but I do not see the reason you would need to get a divorce.

    Contact immigration attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey. Contact immigration attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. for a free consultation about new Immigration Reform policies. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.

  2. You can marry again.

  3. I agree with my colleagues, but I am unclear why you are considering divorce. If you would like, call me for a brief, free phone consultation. 216-771-5588. Andy Bramante

    You should always consult with an experienced immigration attorney to make certain that the advice you received is appropriate for your particular immigration case.

Marriage and prenups topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics