Can I marry my boyfriend, a US citizen, while on a tourist visa and apply for a change of status?

Asked about 1 year ago - New York, NY

Does getting married in the USA while in a tourist visa harm the process of changing to a spouse visa?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . No, but you might be able to see adjustment if status.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  2. Jeff L. Khurgel


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Generally, one would be well advised to marry after 60 days of entry. What you said during your visa interview and to CBP upon entry is also relevant. The short answer is maybe -- talk it through with an attorney for a more precise answer.

    Jeff Khurgel
    Khurgel Immigration Law Firm -- Representing Clients in All 50 States
    Office (949) 509-6515

    Kindly note that this posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-... more
  3. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Yes.

    The Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit has stated that "federal immigration laws are exceedingly complex"

    You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,689 answers this week

2,980 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,689 answers this week

2,980 attorneys answering