Can i marry an US citizen in USA although i already married in my home country ?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

can i marry US citizen in USA and change my status although i already married in my home country ? and please note that my wife visited the US before with me but now she is in our home country and she has no objection where the laws in our country allow infringement wives after official approvals. thank you

Additional information

sure I Did not mean infringement wives I mean Polygamy, sorry again for the Translation as English is not my language and I use Google translation

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Maria C. Tebano

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In our country and in NY, you cannot marry another until you divorce your first spouse. It would be be considered bigamy, which is a crime.

  2. Michael Hugh Carlin

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you are married at this time, then US immigration officials will NOT recognize a marriage to another person as a valid marriage. According to U.S. laws, that second marriage is not valid at all.

    You would need to divorce your first wife BEFORE you would get married to the second wife.

    Based on your question, it appears to me that you definitely should consult with an experienced immigration attorney near your about your immigration situation. A good immigration attorney will help you to avoid major problems with your situation.

    (734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of... more
  3. Theodore John Murphy


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No. In this country you cannot be married to more than one person at a time. It is a crime and a violation of the immigration laws.

    The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be... more
  4. Nicklaus James Misiti

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No you need a divorce. My firm handles divorce and immigration in NY.
    Nicklaus Misiti
    Law Offices of Nicklaus Misiti
    212 537 4407

    Legal disclaimer: The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,717 answers this week

3,188 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,717 answers this week

3,188 attorneys answering