Can i marry an US citizen in USA although i already married in my home country ?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

can i marry US citizen in USA and change my status although i already married in my home country ? and please note that my wife visited the US before with me but now she is in our home country and she has no objection where the laws in our country allow infringement wives after official approvals. thank you

sure I Did not mean infringement wives I mean Polygamy, sorry again for the Translation as English is not my language and I use Google translation

1. Maria C. Tebano

3

Answered . In our country and in NY, you cannot marry another until you divorce your first spouse. It would be be considered bigamy, which is a crime.

2. Michael Hugh Carlin

4

Answered . If you are married at this time, then US immigration officials will NOT recognize a marriage to another person as a valid marriage. According to U.S. laws, that second marriage is not valid at all.

You would need to divorce your first wife BEFORE you would get married to the second wife.

Based on your question, it appears to me that you definitely should consult with an experienced immigration attorney near your about your immigration situation. A good immigration attorney will help you to avoid major problems with your situation.

3. Theodore John Murphy

Pro

4

Answered . No. In this country you cannot be married to more than one person at a time. It is a crime and a violation of the immigration laws.

4. Nicklaus James Misiti

2

Answered . No you need a divorce. My firm handles divorce and immigration in NY.
    Regards,
    Nicklaus Misiti
    Law Offices of Nicklaus Misiti
    212 537 4407