Can I marry an illegal Mexican to get him legal?

Asked about 2 years ago - Manchester Center, VT

My fiance has been in the US for 8 years, with no trouble with the law. Him and I have been together for 2 years now and are looking to get married. How can we make it so he can become legal?

1. Elizabeth Clare Surin

Pro

Answered . If he entered without inspection and never had any petition filed on his behalf by a USC or LPR qualifying relative or had any employer begin sponsorship for him prior to April 30, 2001, then he would need to leave the U.S. and you as his USC spouse can petition for him to be admitted with a waiver. If in doubt, consult a lawyer on the specifics of your case.

2. Shokry G Abdelsayed

Answered . If you are U.S. citizen and he came to the United States with a visa and then overstayed, then by marrying him, you may petition for him to obtain lawful permanet resident status (LPR). However, if he crossed the boarder, i.e. entered without inspection at the port of entry, then even marrying to you does not make him legal. Contact an experienced immigration attorney to consult whether he might have alternative means of adjusting status in the U.S.

3. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . You cannot marry anyone just to "get them legal." You need to marry for love. Whether and what would need to be done for him can get the green card through the marriage depends many factors, including your own status, how he entered the US, etc.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.