Can i marry an illegal immigrant if im a permanent resident in TN?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lebanon, TN

Im engaged to an illegal immigrant and im a permanent resident. and we are thinking on getting married soon but im unsure how to go about that. He has a passport,consular id and birth certificate could that be enough to get our marriage licence?

Attorney answers (6)

  1. Thomas Johnson Rosser

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There should be no significant obstacle to your ability to marry in Tennessee under the scenario you describe. His potential adjustment of status to lawful permanent resident (LPR), however, is a more complicated matter for which you should seek professional advice from an experienced immigration attorney.

    Response to this question does NOT establish an attorney-client relationship with the person requesting such... more
  2. Lynne Rogers Feldman

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Whether or not it is enough to get married in Tennessee is a question for a Tennessee lawyer. As of August 1 the FB-2a category will be current but the FB-2a cateogry requires the maintenance of status to adjust status in the U.S.and not just a legal entry so it is unlikely any immigration benefits will accrue from the marriage unless he is able to go home, qualify for a waiver and return. I strongly suggest you consult with an immigration lawyer to review his immigration history to advise on his options.

    Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
    Concentrating in Immigration Law

    2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
    San Diego, CA 92108 | (619) 299-9600
    Fax: (619) 923-3277

    Former Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
    University of Illinois College of Law

  3. Yvette Karyl Sebelist


    Contributor Level 4


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You should have no problem getting married in Tennessee if he has the IDs you mentioned. And you should consult an immigration attorney as well.

  4. Brittany Lace Thomas

    Contributor Level 4

    Answered . You should have no problem getting married in Tennessee. Tennessee courts have previously said that undocumented immigrants have the right to marry in our state. Hope this was helpful!

  5. Brent David Hessel

    Contributor Level 5

    Answered . Congratulations! As a citizen, you have the right to marry whomever you like. With the identification you listed, you should not have a problem obtaining the necessary license in Tennessee. However, you should consider contacting an immigration attorney in order to learn how to protect your family by seeking a valid immigration status for your fiancee. As the spouse of a citizen, he or she may have the ability to obtain permanent residence.

  6. Shiva Pal Gill

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . You should be able to get married but getting him status is a tricky legal matter. He will have to return o his home country to consular process. When are you eligible to become a US citizen? Because there might be greater benefits if you become a US citizen & then petition for him. Call or email if you need to discuss more.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,654 answers this week

3,026 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,654 answers this week

3,026 attorneys answering